Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

The case of the barking dog

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 7 October 2012 | Views [227]

As I sit in my house with funeral music painfully persisting in the background for company, I will share with you the story of how a little yappy white dog was found behind our fence this morning.

So the time in question was about 6.30am. I heard a loud yelp and then lots of barking. I just assumed that a dog may have been hit by a car travelling down our pothole riddled street, so I gripped tightly to any remaining chance of sleep that I could still have and ignore the unwelcomed commotion.

That was when the doorbell was pressed, multiple times I may add, to snatch away any precious peace I may have. I was ready to possible yell murder as I stormed down the stairs to see what was demanding my attention at such an early hour and in my fluey state.

Once at the door I saw the wet little dog darting around trying to find a means of escape. A large trace of dog poo to the right showed that it was quite started by being behind our gate and in a bit of a panic. Thus began the task of unlocking our three padlocks, in my sleep deprived groggy state, while muttering, “Don’t bite me I’m trying to free you.”

At first I had no idea how the animal landed behind our fence. My morning assumption was that a crazed person threw the dog over the tall fence, or the neighbor had placed the dog in the basket that we sometimes see going over their wall (maybe that is another story).

However later this afternoon, as the water-metre reader guy came past, one of my neighbours briefly spoke to me – in his boxer shorts of course….umm awkward. From what I gathered the apologetic neighbour informed me that the dog fell from their balcony and landed behind our fence. I like to picture a bungee jumping dog, thrill seeking and thirsting for adventure, just so I can have a fun story to share.

Tags: challenges, frustrations

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.