Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Survival mode

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 10 October 2012 | Views [105]

I am currently in survival mode. It is day six of my cold and I’m still shuffling on and sipping my third cup of coffee for the day. Honestly I’m never drunk this much coffee nor have I taken this many painkillers to ease my sore, tired body and spinning head that I am sure is drowning in a sea of snot – sorry for the unattractive visual here, but it’s the honest truth.

Survival mode for me consists of succumbing to the need for AC. It is watching my faithful favourite movies as well as viewing some new ones, even when I have a million other things I need to do! I can now say that I’ve seen Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (like) and 2012 (besides John Cusack being in it there was very little going for it).  Numerous cups of tea and coffee have also been consumed in a vain attempt to soothe my throat and rid my head of this fog it currently finds itself in.

At school I carry a roll of paper towel around and my TA has moved the rubbish bin into shooting range so I can blew, shot and continue teaching. Hand sanitizer is at the ready as I teach my students to wash their hands after blowing their nose. I am currently my class’ billboard of how to prevent other people from getting sick without doing the sane thing of staying at home and getting plenty of rest.

Teaching here, with few substitute teachers, causes me to keep on going even in this groggy state. My head may be clouded in phlegm but I press on lifted up by the prayers of many, and the light at the end of this week of a holiday. Just one more teaching day to go!

Tags: challenges

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.