Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

on the move

CAMBODIA | Monday, 5 September 2011 | Views [403]

On the weekend I moved into my new share house in Toul Kork Phnom Penh (it’s just a 15 minute walk to and from work each day). Moving in Cambodia is not for the faint of heart and I was happy to have recruited some good friends to assist in the process.

I arrived to Cambodia with only a 30kg suitcase and in the 8.5 short months I have been here have accumulated so much. It was overwhelming emptying cupboards, filling bags and suitcases will all this stuff. I felt so selfish but also incredibly blessed to have many resources and things to help make living here more comfortable. It was decided that two tuk tusk would be required for the job - mainly on the account of my bulking exercise bike that I still count as my best purchase here. The guys did all the heavy lifting, becoming makeshift removalists as they lugged all my items down the somewhat slippery flights of stairs. Then it was loaded into the tuk tuks and we were now a convoy of two tuk tuks plus a moto zig zagging our way to my new destination.

Guys loading the exercise bike into the tuk tuk

Was fairly quick unloading and moving things up to my room, until it came to my exercise bike. It is heavy to say the least and rather wide. The guys took it to the narrow set of stairs but quickly discovered that this path would be impossible, so it was through the window we went. Yes, you read that right, the window! My room is just above the living area so we opened up the window and Hun stood on the ledge while Vatanak and Pov lifted the bike up him. I was terrified by what they were doing (and fearful that they would drop it) that I was unable to take any photos, but here is a picture of the ledge outside my room and I’ll let you use your imagination.

My room is with the world map curtains. Certainly a me kind of thing :)

After moving all my gear there is still a need to buy some furniture for my new room. Will buy rattan things because it is light and cheap and also that will also be going through the window. Never a dull moment here in Cambodia.

Tags: moving

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.