Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Beautiful Singapore

SINGAPORE | Friday, 20 July 2012 | Views [133]

And now for something completely different, a trip to Singapore with my mum for a week of relaxation and seeing new things. It has been 23 years since I was last in this nation, and that was only for a 2 day stop over as we returned to Australia from The Netherlands. I can't say I really remembered the city, but I can be certain that it has changed a lot as this thriving place is a growing metropolis, filled with high buildings, cars and people bustling about.

It is an amazing contrast to where I currently live in Cambodia. Singapore is the place of advancement, business, wealth and big dreams about the future. I was surprised by the unexpected culture shock I felt as I explored this small country that is making a huge impact in South East Asia.

First thing that I learnt about Singapore is they love their gardens and lush greenery. A taxi driver informed us about a belief that in order for Singapore, a country that is shaped like a crab, to remain prosperous and full of life it must stay green (like a live crab). Interesting thought. I must say that I enjoyed the aspects of green in this otherwise urban jungle.

Another thing that struck me was the strong business mind of the Singaporeans and their tactful efforts of making an extra dollar. Too tired to walk? Pay $5 and we will put you on a tram. Want to see a view? Only $5. Laser light show by the sea? $10....and if you want to see it from an even better angle the just pay $5 more. They will take photos of you at every attraction you enter and then try and sell it to you as you leave. Amazing!

Even though mum and I did go to see attractions like Underwater World, Insect and Butterfly Park, Songs of the Sea, Gardens by the Bay, The Zoo, Night Safari and even rode the Singapore Flyer...

 

...I really enjoyed just walking around and taking things in. I liked walking around Sentosa and seeing the sculptures as well as the Merlion, as well as strolling around Chinatown, Little India and other corners of the city.

Singapore was worth a visit, it stands out amongst its neighbours and provides many things to do and see without proving to be too difficult to the tourist. Plus the food is great :)

Tags: family, holidays, suitcases

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.