Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

School closures - Routine or sheer panic?

CAMBODIA | Friday, 20 July 2012 | Views [152]

And I thought I was good at panicking! Well it looks like the Ministry of Education in Cambodia is far superior at it then me. Schools around the country have been closed, as of Wednesday 18th July, just 10 days shy of the official end of the Khmer school year.

What brought on this mass school closure you may ask? The shear terror of the EV71 virus which has resulted in 55 deaths and 61 known infections. Though, the interesting fact is that the Ministry of Education are not even in agreeance that this is the reason for the early end to the school year and the Ministry of Health was not consulted about this decision and based this huge call on reports from schools and the World Health Organisation!

It is just another example of how ill-informed people can turn a problem into full-blown panic. A political minister stated that schools have been closed to make room for High School Examinations, another that there has been a large number of colds across nine of the provinces and they want to contain the spread of infection. Though, the schools are delivering another message to the parents. Anyone as confused as I am?

Of the deaths of this terrible illness, that is effecting children, 50 occurred in the one hospital - raising questions of tragic mistreatment and poor diagnosis, not a fast moving virus torpedoing its way through the nation.

The Phnom Penh Post said on Wednesday 18th July:

"Young children are particularly susceptible to the EV71 virus, which can cause severe Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease and has mostly led to the death of children younger than three who died within 24 hours of being admitted to hospital."

If this is the reason for the mass school closure it is creating more harm to this troubled nation. The saddest report I read was that a rumour has started in Banteay Meanchey province that drinking energy drinks mixed with honey will save the lives of the children, sparking an influx of sales of these products. Already the very poor of this nation are jumping at any solution to protect their children and these closures will just escalate the opportunities for them to be exploited.

Why was this decision even past by the government of Cambodia? What will be the direct consequences of this decision? A member of the health delicate, who were brought over to Cambodia to advise about the EV71 virus, has said that the diseases is now contained and with care from families and proper treatment will remain that way. How is creating a 10 day early holiday going to assist families that have little access to education to truly cater for the needs of their children? It breaks my heart thinking about the foolish in this poor decision of the leaders with in this nation. 

Not sure if this will impact the start of our school year at Logos on the 6th August, but it has meant that summer school has abruptly ended. I just pray that peace and comfort may reign over Cambodia and that this break will bring families closer together, that children will stay healthy and that this would be a period of rest for all. I also hope that treatment of this virus will be full of wisdom and that lies will be crushed so that families will not be exploited in the midst of this confusion.

I think it is at times like this that Cambodia honestly is “The Land of Wonder”.

 

 

 

Tags: frustrations

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.