Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

A heartfelt goodbye

CAMBODIA | Monday, 9 April 2012 | Views [484]

It is a strange feeling leaving something that has been a huge part of what I have been doing in Cambodia for over a year. I have been challenged, stretched and have learnt a great deal while teaching at New Life School. Working here has changed me for the better as a teacher.

On Thursday I was informed that we would have a gathering around lunch time with some of the teachers to say farewell. Like any introvert I was so grateful for the advance warning so I could mentally prepare myself. Heartfelt encouragement and prayers were shares, a few tears were shed and cake was devoured. A small goodbye with minimal attention on me – couldn’t ask for anything better.

On my last day of teaching I had prepared Easter lessons and colouring in activities, well it was Good Friday.

My Grade 4s were the first class of the day. I taught them the song “Lord I lift your name on high” and then I flipped over my poster to reveal the Khmer lyrics, to which they let loose a joyful chorus of praise in their native tongue. It was beautiful. They chatted away while working with me trying to encourage them to speak in English or attempting to translate their Khmer. I caught them off guard a few times with my translation – “Miss Meagan, you speak Khmer”….hehe well I try to. After class they handed me some beautiful cards with thoughtful messages written inside.

Grade 2s were their normal energetic selves. At the end of class they all indiscreetly hid their cards for me. When I gave the order to prepare the line to go to lunch, they rushed at me with all their handmade cards, notes and pictures. Many of the girls also leaned in to give me a kiss on the check which was incredibly sweet.

I love the Grade 1 class and their teacher made a beautiful poster with her students, all their names are in a fruit. They have been an awesome class, so eager to learn, sing, write and have fun together. They are also the best class for a self esteem boost, as I often enter the room to either hear soft whispers or loud exclamations of “Nek kroo sa-aat na” (Teacher, very beautiful). Things like that never go astray.

Kindy’s gift to me was covered in angry birds (Cambodia is truly obsessed with them) and beautifully drawn pictures.

Each child (even the tricky ones who push me as a teacher) has been a huge blessing to me in my role at the school. It has bee a privilege working with the staff and being able to contribute to the vision of New Life School. However, my time here has come to an end and I look forward to new adventures and challenges that lay ahead.

Tags: its hard saying goodbye, my brilliant class

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.