Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

My three wishes

CAMBODIA | Monday, 26 March 2012 | Views [296]

I love the movie Aladdin, and since watching it as a little girl I have had this daydream about what my three wishes would be if I had a genie. Even still today I can often find myself drawn back to my fantasy of having a magical lamp that could grant me my heart’s desire in an instant.

My wishes are entirely selfish, filled with quick fixes from a yearning heart. They are overflowing with laziness due to being unmotivated or frustrated at the seemingly improbability of gaining certain desires in my life. Honestly who won’t want their dream to be handed to them on a silver platter, or to just fall from the sky, appearing without any effort or demands?

Then I got to thinking – would this make me appreciate having my dream, if it was just magically granted to me? Would I even value it highly or would I start complaining and longing after something else? I am constantly being reminded that all the hard work and waiting to receive your dreams makes the enjoyment of them far more meaningful and that much more sweeter.

One of my three wishes has always been the ability to just pick up a musical instrument and be able to play it. I love music so much but have shied away from it due to the fear of failing and not doing it right. So maybe it is time to shelve my genie dreams and start with some hard work and learn how to play an instrument without giving up.

I am borrowing a friend’s guitar and with youtube as my guide am making an effort to learn how to play. So far I have learnt how to tune and the chromatic scale but it’s progress. Words of encouragement are welcome along with you checking up on how I'm going. I think it will be a fun challenge and a great way to unwind at the end of a busy and stressful day.

That's a photo of me attempting to play a C…..photographic evidence that I am actually working on it.

Tags: dreaming, outside my box

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.