Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

And the award goes to….

CAMBODIA | Friday, 22 July 2011 | Views [95]

As the school year draws to a close it is time to commemorate all the achievements of the students over the year. Each classroom teacher created awards to encourage and celebrate each individual child and what they have accomplished over the past 10 months of schooling.

I joined the Grade 2s in receiving their awards. They were so incredibly cute, shyly walking to the front when their name was called and their achievement read. Their peers wildly clapped and smiled as they were handed their certificate from the teacher and a photo was taken.

Absolutely LOVE the smile on this guy's face.

Each class has accomplished so much this year. They have all grown academically, in character and in their relationship God. It is so easy for schools to just focus on academic excellence and forget the Godly growth that is happening in each child’s life. These qualities are far more valuable then any scores one may receive on a test and they deserved to be acknowledged in a big and uplifting way.

A way to help a child believe they can have a brighter future is to educate the whole child, building them up with praise and empower them with positivity. Focusing on adversities and what they have not achieved makes them start to believe that great things are limited to a select few, keeping them trapped in poverty. When you look into each of these children’s eyes they shine with hope and joy. Even though they may be poor and face many difficulties they are rich in qualities of greater worth. God has a plan and a purpose for each one of these incredible children, plans filled with hope and an amazing future.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.