Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

Chewing gum and hotel reservations.

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 18 December 2010 | Views [217]

It’s my first official day as an overseas missionary and it has been an interesting one. My flight to KL Malaysia went well. I am really trying to step outside my comfort zone – to use any opportunity that God places before me, no matter how silly it may seem or how little I feel like doing it.

On the plane I was sitting next to a couple from Malaysia. The guy called over the air hostess and asked if she had anything for his blocked ears and running nose. He was feeling a lot of pressure and that is not comfortable. She went off after saying that she would see what she could do. Then something prompted me – I had an unopened packet of peppermint chewing gum in my handbag. I fought the prompt for a few minutes and then, after gathering some courage, I turned to the guy and offered him some gum. It was all sealed up and he gratefully accepted it. This lead to a beautiful conversation. The couple were just heading back from their honeymoon in Australia. It was a great opportunity to share with them. All from offering some gum.

This morning I still didn’t know if I had reservation for my hotel in KL, but you know what I was not at all stressed about it. I had this huge sense of protection knowing that God is in control. Today he sent two lovely people to help me with my bags when I needed it, he moved people to open doors for me, I arrived exactly on time for my bus so I didn't have to wait at all and now I’m sitting on my bed in my hotel using the wifi all because God is holding it all together. The hotel is providing me with a packed breakfast tomorrow at 3am and will call for a taxi so I don’t have to lug my 37kg of bags to the bus stop at 3:15am. He is going before me on this – and that is the greatest encouragement that I can receive.

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.