Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

packing a suitcase and crazy check lists

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 16 December 2010 | Views [155] | Comments [2]

Now packing up my house was a big deal, leaving my students was hard, saying goodbye to friends was tough, driving to Brisbane was gruelling, but the hardest part of my preparation for Cambodia is packing the suitcase and the check lists that go along with that.

I don't like lists, they scare me. They are so threatening telling you all the things you need to do and that you have a time limit to get it done in. Being a talented procrastinator this doesn't suit my preparing lifestyle. So I keep my list in my head (revolting against written ones) and it is driving me crazy. Here is what happens...
1. Buy items needed for overseas (medical, gifts, personals) - check
2. Sort through clothes and put in bag - check
3. Gather books together for suitcase - check
4. Place all necessary items in suitcase - check
5. Call places like VIT, Vic roads, Optus to sort things - check
6. Weigh suitcase - TOO MUCH
7. Go through all items countless times until suitcase is a adequate weight - too much, too much, 2kg too much - ahhhhh!!!!!

We don't realise how little 37kg is. Just a few items and you are over. Why do we get so attached to things? Do I really need this to live? Is giving to other more important than giving to myself? Am I going to be comfortable or to be comfortably uncomfortable? Is what we have a need or is our life filled with don't needs? God looks after the birds and the flowers I'm sure he will also look after me.

Now I'll go back to my suitcase to check it yet another time, hopefully with fresh eyes free from worry and stress and a clear mind really to throw a few more things out. Wish me all the best.

Comments

1

Can you carry 2kg on you instead. Tote a stack of books on the plane perhaps?

  Erin Dec 16, 2010 11:55 AM

2

30kg check-in, 7kg for the plane. I think I've got it down if i post the books and music for the school for someone else to bring. Thank you for introducing me to Kindle....leaving my books behind is a lot easier.

  me Dec 16, 2010 12:12 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.