Existing Member?

Maz's Adventures My experiences of South America, New Zealand, Australia, South East Asia and China.

Lima to Huacachina oasis

PERU | Sunday, 4 June 2006 | Views [3024]

Shadows on the dunes

Shadows on the dunes

Wow what a flight, Iberia sucks as an airline.

Didn´t think we where going to get fed for 12 hours. After our dodgy meal, it was a free for all and self service. British Airways have spoilt us, with indiviual TV´s and seat service, but iberia could just about be arsed to  show  us the emergency exits and feed us. If you wanted anything you had to get up go to the back and grovel for it. So after 12 hours of madness we arrived shell shocked in Lima, sleep deprived and just wanting to get to bed. Our hostel transfer was late, slight panic but Manuel arrived. Drove us through the slums right through to the wealthest district then onto Miraflores our tourist safe haven.

LIma in my books is a big stinking city, but this is my view  so dont be put off. Miraflores were we stayed was super protected by the law on every corner so it felt safe. We headed down to the coast and checkd out the surfers,and all the parks. That night tried the local speciallity Cebiche, yummy! Baby octopus, sqiud, mussles, scollops in Lime juice, chilli, lots of red onion, white wine vinegar, corriander served with sweet potato. The lime juice slowly cooks the seafood so its so tender. They also have other fish variations but its so fresh.

We swiftly left Lima to head on to Huacachina Oasis. 5 hours from Lima to slap bang in the middle of the desert. 80 degrees scorchio sunshine, gargantuan sand dunes for a little sand boarding. We got boards which were a peice of ply wood with the roundest edges known to man and velcro straps to secure you in. Yeah right, death trap.  Me and John ventured out inthe heat, walking up the dunes with a candle to wax our boards, which melted the moment it touched the sand. we did have ago but having to hike uphill was a killer, just because of the heat. So what we did was booked a dune buggy ride for 2 hours. Yeeeeeehaaaaaa! what a rush. As you can see from the photos it was like a two hour rollercoaster ride. We went out at 4pm so we got to watch the sun go down. BUt they brought the boards along, waxed them up with papaya floor polish,  and made us go down these huge dunes lying  on the boards on our stomachs face first. Holy crap what a rush and what a mouthful of sand. Brillo!

We Also found Burger Queen, she is alive and well and selling juicy burgers in Huacachina.

After 3 days of sunshine, dunes and chilling around the pool the first of our big bus journeys to Arequipa, up to altitude too. 10 hour bus journey that consisted of Kareoke bingo (kringo) if you won the bingo you got to sing. Unfortunatly my spanish is turd and i didnt win, dam!

Tags: Sightseeing

About mcgurk77

Washing my feet in the river after the first afternoon of treking

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.