Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Born to be wild

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 14 February 2013 | Views [946]

Roman let us stay on his property - super friendly and fun. Our first camping experience in Colombia -- on our way from Turbo to Medellin.

Roman let us stay on his property - super friendly and fun. Our first camping experience in Colombia -- on our way from Turbo to Medellin.

Wednesday the 6th of February.

Turbo is a filthy, busy place. We got out of the boat, put our bikes together and left in a hurry. Full of energy, happy to be alive and ready for action. The road has us back, it's paved, it's sunny and we are in COLUMBIA!!! I am so proud of the way we did it! I just loved the flight and both boat rides...can't help it.....one of the best times in my life!! The looming dark cloud of managing the border from Panama to Columbia and the Darien Gap has cleared. Not even sea sickness was part of the deal.  We did it!!!
While riding I kept singing "Born to be wild"  from "Steppenwolf" and from the movie "Easy rider". Easy rider....yeah, this is what it feels like, but I have my own motor, my own fuel. My body and my mind is my power.. Gosh, feeling strong!
The road was flat for a while - lots of military checkpoints. We are still close to the water. Drug related crimes are still very active in these areas.
Our first "wild" camping experience was with a farmer named Ramon, who owns 4000 acres of land and 1100 cattle. He had build a little Finca for his helpers not far off the main road to Medellin, but it was not in use. We ask if we could camp, he opened the bathroom for us and we stayed under a little palapa surrounded by a manicured garden. Super friendly, Ramon made fun of our crazy idea to ride our bikes to Tierra Del Fuego and shook his head over the fact that we had ridden already 11000 km from San Francisco, CA. He tried out James's bike, but failed...though he was able to ride around the roses with my bike. Fun guy...we said our good byes that night and slept wonderfully in our little casa the tent. 

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.