Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

The ferrry story and then Mazatlan

MEXICO | Saturday, 14 July 2012 | Views [607]

Ferry - in Mazatlan

Ferry - in Mazatlan

Friday the 13th - really?
Mazatlan - the ferry trip was first fun and I was excited as a little kid going to the fair, after dinner, the beautiful sunset, the escape from the lounging room onto the cooler deck for sleeping, the sweet rocking of the boat putting me to sleep like a baby being rocked by grandpa or grandma or just some caring person. I felt so safe and happy....one chapter closed on this trip and all went so well - being so grateful for this opportunity and adventure and all was beautiful in it's own way and since I swore to myself and the world I will not tolerate more than 40% suffering on any trip (or I would have to seriously change something or just go home...) I can say this was maybe 10% (yes, there were times when the heat actually got to me, or when the desert road just seem to have no end, or a person didn't give me the answer I was looking for, or I had a bad night sleep, because the sweet drops kept trickling down my back or my side while I was trying to rest - having a hot flash on top of it all and, not to forget, when I thought my life has come to an end when I truck passed me close enough to feel the heat of the tire on my cheek). So, it was beautiful this cycle experience through Baja and I learned to love this unusual place very much!!
Now, back to the ferry.........I woke up watching the sun rising over the water, the air becoming a bit more humid. Breakfast was part of the ferry deal (so was dinner) and I was ready to crawl down the narrow stairway to the cantina. I smelled the eggs, the refried beans and started to feel unsure about my appetite. Once I had gathered up what was offered on the plate and sat down to devour it, I felt downright sick.......sea sick is what it's called and I hurried on deck to look for the horizon to calm my nerves and stomach - well it's actually the brain that needs to be calmed. Didn't work! What worked was going right back to sleep and stay asleep as long as possible - only a couple more hours......
Made it - meaning I didn't have to let go of the content of my stomach...anyhow, I know it isn't necessarily the right thing to do and letting go might be a better way to make one feel better...I just didn't want to, makes me feel bad, don't know why, just is....
Enough of that - short story long.......I was happy to see land and even happier to set foot on it!!
Here we are in Mazatlan. High humidity and needing to get used to the rain as in preparing the bike and all I carry, especially the electronics.  The town is fun with it's old center and markets and very friendly people. No problem to stay a few days, but tomorrow the road to Durango is calling (it's calling right now as I write...)- 250km ( 155 miles) and 1900 meters (a bit over 6000 feet) of climbing. After almost a week off the bike ( safe the little trips to the beaches and around town and stuff....) James and I agree to be ready for the next stage, the new map and the actually somewhat different country. This is Mexico, not Baja Mexico...I am ready!
 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.