Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

A trip to the Market

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Saturday, 7 March 2009 | Views [952]

Early morning in Palolem.

First let me tell you about our (Marta and my ) trip to Anjuna and the market (Gita calls it the flea-Market).

After the four different buses and learning more about the Indian culture and the local traffic (which is another, but more extreme experience –in the same direction I had in Abu Dhabi), the market was a world of music, colors , smells, smiles and beauty. I have never before seen (smelled or heard) in my life.

Bargaining is part of the game and prices can go down 80%. Being fired up – bying three pieces of clothing this way, I went to get a big glass of fresh squeezed papaya/mango juice and started to try to push the price down from 70 Rp ($1.50) to no avail. The juice was worth  every penny and I got a  photo and a smile, which ws returned with 100% satisfaction.

On the buses, we met the nicest couple from Israel (old: 62 and 65). By the time I got to the market, I was on my own (Marta stayed in a restaurant and Joseph an Java were pulled away by other points of interest).

Even though we all had a date to take a taxi back, it was just Marta and I splitting the cost (100 miles 1200Rp = $12 each)

And now – 9am, after a good night sleep I set just outside of our little hut ($3,50 a night) on the beach with my new pants ($1), a dog curled up by my feet, the gulf waves in one ear and a good mix of Indian, Arabien and Western Rock music in the other……….

Tags: the nice juice

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.