Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Florianópolis, August 25th 2019

BRAZIL | Monday, 26 August 2019 | Views [461]

Enjoying some serious caldo de cana! (Sugarcane juice with lime! Super yummmmmm!)

Enjoying some serious caldo de cana! (Sugarcane juice with lime! Super yummmmmm!)

Time to relaxe, being at ease with the people around us - not even speaking the language. Take the ease and don’t think about it!

Tracing some of James’ stomping grounds from 25 years ago. Hitting some resonating, good nerves and letting it all come in and do it’s thing.

Not all people he knew then have survived the last 25 years, but a lot of the houses, corners, rocks and trees are part of the memory too. The Matadeiro Beach has and had no road access, just trails and little bridges through the jungle and the whispering leaves singing their song alongside the Atlantic Ocean. We are transferred in time and yet, I wasn’t here 25 years ago...I know nothing about it and the now mixes with the past...all ancient around here ...even the laughter of the kids....the old whale bones from a time long, long ago when these beautiful giants got killed and the bones left. This information link about the Matadeiro Beach does not tell you about the bones, that are still found in that area as benches or railings or just “hidden” reminders here and there. James pointed them out to me...they are hard to detect: White washed from weather and time and not out of place.

https://wikimapia.org/121441/Matadeiro-Beach

Leaves me melancholic....but this buzzing, Brazilian life keeps going in these corners als well.

Our WarmShower hosts took us to another corner of the island to pick up some fat, tasty oysters. We cycled there - of course - picking up Caldo de Cana. Sugar Cane juice with lime and or ginger, like you woulnd’t believe! Last time I drank this energy giving elixir was in Ecuador (6 years ago) and I had almost forgotten about it....now I feel the same again, even though I lived fine all those years without it: I want this in my life! My judgement when I read “cane sugar” on the ingredient label of any food product- especially when it lines up in the first 3- hasn’t changed..but, really, what’s wrong with it? These amazing plants are born from this earth and when you run it through a machine and squeeze the juice out of it .....it taste like heaven to me and apparently to a lot of people.

It is advertised as a healthy drink and why shouldn’t it be? Full of the sweetness of the earth. I can’t get enough of it! That is what is happening and now, just writing those words, makes my mouth water and pine for more. Enough to want to make serious plans to start a business when I get back home to CA. I’d like you all to experience this fine addition to your life’s energy.

That day was “a day to write home about”. No doubt about it!

When we got back to M and N’s home we got the grill going and threw ourselves in action to create the meal of the day - me still buzzing from Cana Energie...(the other‘s second round was beer)

Gordo oysters like I have never seen before!

The night came late and we piled into a home a couple blocks down the road to enjoy a local Brazilian Band and I was mesmerized by sounds/visions/sensuality, beauty and language. Nobody - but my hosts- payed attention to me and I was happy to be a “fly on the wall”, drinking in the energy of the true Brazilian atmosphere. When I opened my eyes, I saw swaying bodies...lots of waving booties, dancing couples everywhere, from the kitchen to the gate outside, close to the music and far away from it. Seems like they were all “here now” Singles were riding the waves too...moving to the music, eyes closed or not...the mixes of all cultures representing human beings from all corners of our Mother Earth, not intentionally but organically. This feels like heaven!

 

 

 

 

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.