Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Loja - Macara ..decisions, decisions, decisions.....we could continue in the mountains but we went

ECUADOR | Monday, 24 June 2013 | Views [982]

Loading up on sugar cane juice.

Loading up on sugar cane juice.

...from here to Macará- heading towards the coast (not quite - more like the foothills of the Andes) and into Peru. Taking a side road again and being quite pleased with the choice until we hit the downhill gravel. Some motorist had warned us about the bad road closer to Macará and here it is......bumpedy bumpedy bump....It's hard to enjoy the view when balancing on the bike, locking up the brakes and hoping not to be thrown off the bike entirely while hitting some bigger rocks in the road...not to mention the crazy drivers passing us or coming towards us dragging a cloud of dust behind them to make us blind for seconds at a time which is long enough to have your life endangered. It's a pretty high stress level mentally and physically. Can't imagine riding the road the other way - up the mountain, but even riding down is hard, hard work! Before we hit the rocky road we came across a sugar cane juice stand which was a perfect break slurping down the sweet substance enhanced with lime and orange juice......at home in CA the natural food store would have charged us an arm and a leg and here on the road between trucks, sheep and goats we drank at least a liter each spending a whole dollar while I stored some more of the yummy liquid in my insulated traveling cup - the sugar rush made me feel like I can go on forever and never run out of energy..... 

We had spent the night with a sweet family on top of some mountain in a house under construction and the views were magical. The half done house kept the warmth of the sun rays in it's concrete walls and we were comfortable and cozy in our tent inside these walls eating our pasta/green beans and chocolate for desert with our music blasting from the iPhone attached to the little speakers my darling daughter had given me for Christmas last year.  A good way to gain some more energy for the last leg in Ecuador.
 
Macará was hardly a reward - a dusty semi unfriendly border town three km before entering Peru our ninth country on this trip. Bye, bye Ecuador it was a pleasure to meet you!

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.