Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Just so.....I wanted to say...

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 14 May 2013 | Views [660] | Comments [1]

Rio Verde - down the coast in Ecuador

Rio Verde - down the coast in Ecuador

The next day started cloudy and rainy and after a hearty breakfast from our smiling hosts we set out without hesitation. To me - after about two hours of riding - it started feeling like I was cycling under water it was hard to breath with all that water coming down on me. I hadn't even bothered to wear my rain gear, the air was so hot and humid I would have been just as soaked with the gear just from sweating. The people from the last village had warmed my heart and I was just floating along on the road in the greatest mood...It rained all day - my finger and toe tips turning into raisins. A warm, tropical sweet rain on the flats near the Pacific Ocean - right where I want to be. 

On another note:
I love to see the locals carrying their babies through sunshine and rain, mothers or fathers or sisters or brothers, grandparents, uncles friends.......everybody carries the babies or small kids. No strollers, not even body baby carriers (or what are those things called?). The kids are most of the time asleep - arms and legs dangling, safe and relaxed.....All through Mexico and Central America and now South America! The fathers are involved in every play and care taking activity with a playful and fun demeanor AND they snuggle and kiss and futz with them at any given time- never, this whole trip, have I seen ANYBODY get upset with a crying or bratty kid. Let's watch and learn!

Comments

1

I love your observation about holding babies and not being upset with children! Somewhere Barbara Kingsolver wrote about taking her young daughter to Spain. Some cranky adult had been rude on the long airplane flight and refused to accommodate her young daughter. Then when they arrived in Spain she was so amazed and heartened by how kind everyone was to her little daughter.

  Anne May 14, 2013 3:34 PM

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.