Existing Member?

Around some of the world in 180 days

Nafplio

GREECE | Monday, 30 July 2012 | Views [481]

Panoraic Palamidi Castle

Panoraic Palamidi Castle

It's apparently not possible to travel further south into the Peloponnese on a Sunday and the thought of staying for another day in Olympia was just too painful. So I decided to head to Nafplio, which the involves going back to Corinth, where I came 2 days ago. It might not be a bad thing. According to guide books, ask the average person in Greece to name their favourite Greek city, the answer is Nafplio. Nafplio was the capital city of Greece after it won independence from Ottoman, before it moved to Athens.

I caught a bus from Olympia to Pyrgos to Corinth, then finally from Corinth to Nafplio. Arriving at about 2pm. The main reason for coming to Nafplio is to see the ruins of Mycenae, but I'd heard and read so many nice things Nafplio that I figured it's be worthwhile allocating one day to exploring the town.

With plenty of time left, I set about exploring the town. The part of the town I'm staying is the old area. It has a fantastic centre with small neoclassical/venetian houses, squares, cafes, museums, churches and a beach. Basically the tourist part of town. The really interesting parts of the town are the 3 forts. There's Bourtzi on an island. Palamidi on a big hill and the old town fortifications too far to the east of town.

The only way to get to Bourtzi is using one of the tourist boats at €4, which I had to clarify if a return trip was included:




Palamidi from the bottom of the hill:




The fortress is as impressive as it looks from down below. There's a claimed 999 steps to the top of Palamidi, which is as daunting as it sounds. I've decided to test the 999 step claim by counting. I actually counted only 983 and that includes the 10 steps to the entrance proper for the castle. The views from the top are amazing:

Tags: greece, nafplio

 

About macedonboy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.