Existing Member?

Around some of the world in 180 days

Delhi - The first week

INDIA | Monday, 20 February 2012 | Views [574]

Sadly for my delicate respiratory system, it doesn't seem to enjoy polluted air and have decided to stage a protect by contracting a throat infection. This is slowing me down considerably and for the last four days of this week, I've been back fairly early from sight seeing and just hitting the sack.

Still, I managed to take in Humayun's Tomb, Lotus Temple, India gate, the National Museum, National Gandhi museum, Khan market area and the Qutub Complex. Sadly, I've missed out on Akshardham temple. The mistake was to schedule this on a weekend when popular attractions are swamped. Of course, this thought only occurred to me as I waited in line for the cloakroom (nothing but drinks are allowed into the complex). After 2 hours of queueing, just for the cloakroom, the combination of the heat and the throat infection was too much. I gave up and went back to the hotel to sleep. Nevertheless, I'm resolved to see the temple on one of my returns to Delhi.

Baha'i House of Worship

The Baha'i House of Worship is as it's name suggests is a temple for the Baha'i faith. It's also known as Lotus Temple and as this name might suggest, the temple is shaped like a lotus flower and not surprisingly has won several architecture awards. My idea for shooting the temple was to get several shots from different times of the day. Having waited 2 hours just to get this shot right, with the sun low over the top of the building, I gave up on the idea of staying for dawn and night time. Still, it's a pretty good shot?

Humayuns's Tomb

Humayuns's Tomb is the tomb of the Mughal emperor Humayun.  Just it case there was any doubt, it said so on a sign outside, in plain Engish. The Mughals were known for being great builders and this tomb is no exception. It's an example of the many beautiful Mughal buildings dotted around Delhi. Personally, I think the Mughals didn't want to be outdone by the grandiose insanity of the Pharaohs. Here's a picture of the tomb:

Overall, I have to say that the first week has been interesting and fun. Delhi certainly has its share of villagers trying to make their livelihood in the big city. In the main, the people here are urban, city types. A city that's ideal as an introduction to India. Cushioning the culture shock for us city slickers, easing you in as you take the first steps into the country. 

Lastly, I'd like to leave a thought from the great man Gandhi:

Tags: delhi, india

 

About macedonboy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.