Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

Cali´s saucy salsa sangre (blood) and byebye Colombia

COLOMBIA | Friday, 6 June 2008 | Views [860]

Happy and a little sad to be leaving Colombia. Was a bit indifferent to the food here, except for the fruits and juices, which were amazing. I´ve been walking around the area I´m staying at, Avenida 9 Calle 22, there are lots and lots of salsa clubs. Monday afternoon, I went to the zoo, and really enjoyed the butterfly room. At night, went out with some people from the hostel, and 2 Colombia girls to a pizza place. Felt like I was back home or in any Western country. Tuesday and Wednesday during the day I just chilled out the hostel, and read lots (3 books in 3 days!), last night however, a group of us went out to a salsa club. It was packed for a Wednesday night. We drank sufficient amounts of aguaqiede, this popular local spirit. Even danced a few dances but found I had very little rhythm for the type of salsa people were dancing. 

One thing of note however: haven´t been in a more smelly hostel room ever. The guys I shared a room with all had BO and feet odour issues. And at the last hostel a cat peed on my bag so I made my contributions as well. All in all, after a really late night out, and getting up early in the morning, I didn´t go back to bed, instead tried to sleep on the bench on the hostel porch, but not much success.

So... almost 3 weeks in Colombia, aside from the annoying men, and somewhat shitty weather (very overcast, daily rain for a couple of hours), Colombia was expensive, but I liked it for the warm weather. People are always helpful when I approach them, but I get stared at too much so preferred the shyer populations of Peru and Bolivia. And I guess when people think about Colombia, they think about drugs. It´s not as prevalent as people think. Of course if you go looking for it I´m sure you´d find it easily, but that´s the same in most countries I´ve travelled through.

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.