Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

Medellin - home to the plastically beautiful

COLOMBIA | Sunday, 1 June 2008 | Views [1171]

Colombians are really good looking, especially in the big cities. Many of the women I've seen are beautifully done up, perfect hair, attractive (if sometimes gaudy) clothes. The men here are okay too. I'm staying at a hostel in the Poblado area, there are about 5 cosmetic surgery clinics just on my street. That kinda gives you an idea of the culture here, people's priorities. Girls really do get boob jobs for 16th birthday presents.

Went out Friday night, first to this punk/sca gig, then to the hip and happening bar area of town. The gig was in this house-like place, band was set up in the living room, the kitchen was a bar. Not particularly into the music but it was fun, there were crazy head bangers in the front. The bars area of town is very nice, but it wasn't very packed last night. Someone said it's too cold to go out for the beautiful girls, so the guys don't go out much now either. Its probably true.

I've decided I really like big cities. Definitely can't live in a small town. I like having new streets to explore and new stuff to do all the time. Living in Tayrona and Taganga made me very bored and boring.

However, I haven't seen any other asians yet, getting lots of stares everywhere I go. Very very over this aspect of travelling. But I've only been here a day, I'll give it a chance, I might even find a Chinatown!

... Later ...

Spent most of Saturday out wandering around town. Went to this area near Universidad where there are technology parks and botanic gardens. I sat eating my fusion Japanese and Thai noodles with seafood and watched kids playing in the fountains and sand pit, while the parents made out under the shade of the trees. It was a very nice moment.

Later on when I got bored of screaming kids, I took the metro to the end of the line to Itagui, where there is a factory outlet place. Didn´t find any clothes that I liked and could afford, but got a few names of clubs to try out with electronic music. I went into a store and liked the music they were playing, so asked the shop keepers for suggestions on where to go on a Saturday night.

Went to Octava again for a few drinks with a bunch of people from the hostel, then we went to La Kasa House. Unfortunately they were playing really hardcore progressive/trance music, we didn´t get too into it. And my vodka and orange costed 12,000 pesos, which is about $8. A total rip off.

I´ve decided to leave Medellin today. Tonight I will bus to Cali. I´ve bought myself some sleeping pills so hopefully all goes well. Planning to be in Ecuador this Thursday! Last country to visit, yay! :)

 

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.