Existing Member?

Big Small Journey Off on the adventure of my lifetime: 5 glorious months of sun and snow in South America, then the UK for further fun and frolicking.

Coloooombia

COLOMBIA | Wednesday, 21 May 2008 | Views [862]

So far so good. I´m in Santa Marta at the moment, going to Taganga to spend some time chilling out on a Carribean beach. Weather has bee pretty shitty; overcast, periods of rain and thunder, rare patch of blue sky. It´s also humid and very warm, which I don´t mind. It´s a nice change from being cold all the time.

Cartagena didn´t excite me too much. Spent 3 hours wandering around the old city and that was enough for me. Not much of a beach there right in the city. At night, the city, or atleast the area I stayed in, felt super seedy. During the day when people whistle and call out at you, you ignore them and move on. But at night the tone of othe whistles and calls change and it can get pretty grotty. You regularly see skinny older men and women in no shoes wandering the streets. The derelicts of society. It´s very sad.

Anyhow, Tagang should be nice. Wondering right now if I should do the 6 day expedition into La Ciudad Perdida (The Lost City), a pre-Colombian fortress, in ruins now, discovered in 1976. So it´s relately unexplored compared to Machu Picchu, which was discovered in 1911. I see Machu Picchu as a massive money making cow, not interesting for that cultural-shudder.

The beach calls....

 

About luchinko


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.