Existing Member?

where is laura? Live your questions now, and perhaps even without knowing it, you will live along some distant day into your answers. Rainer Maria Rilke

a good use of the wet wipe

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 13 December 2005 | Views [864]

I had an exciting day out in Quito colonial. ALL The city transport is .25 what a deal. although you can walk a good deal in a few hours, as <i have been doing. After taking the trole and getting off at the main plaza (one of many grand plazas in this part of the city), there is a group of musicians performing. They are from Otavalo, a primarily indigeous town 2 hours north. (see photo).

I listen for awhile and walk through another main plaza, where a group of people are gathered. I spot the attraction, a mime is picking innocent passersby to follow and joke around with. He is at the other side of the street as <i pass and I see him come over.. I knew he spotted me and I was not getting away. So, I play along, turn around quickly, he does the same, do a little dance, he  mimics me (as all good mimes do).. the crowd is getting a good laugh and Im trying to get away (at least mimes dont speak, so I didn{t have to worry about opening my mouth). He extends his hand, and I shake it. The he points to his cheek, I give him a kiss. He points to the other cheek, okay I do it, then he points to his mouth, and I give him the uhh noo finger shake. As I waLK away, crowd still laughing I wipe my face, and realize that I  must have a good deal of  white paint on my cheeks which I start to wipe off. Luckily, I packed a wet wipe, for easy clean up.... I contiued on my way.

Further ahead I stumble across another grand plaza with music. A  huge banner covers the stage (see photo) and it reads no TLC (trato de libre comercio - free trade agreements). It was a concert for human rights, self determination, etc. There was a display with art and facts about the horrible effects of american culture and policy (violence, poverty, war, etc). It was just ending as i arrived, and <I was glad to be there. There are a lot of scrawlings about town which echo this sentiment.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.