Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Coffeeshop Hopping (I'm So Homeless)

USA | Wednesday, 17 February 2010 | Views [785] | Comments [1]

Portland, OR area.

I do love hanging out at coffee shops that are not Starbucks.  I've been sitting here for three hours almost, behaving like the homeless nomad gypsy kid that I am.  Does someone have an answer as to the etiquette of ordering drinks per x hours of stay?

In any case I think it's a great way to get a feel for a city and its people--better when it is a local shop.  Today's venture is Iron Mutt Coffee Company.

I'm sitting here with my Mexican Spiced Mocha with my travelers cup (save the world, and all), watching the sun slowly cross the sky as the day progresses.  You can be any where in the world and feel at home with comfy living-room-like chairs and a netbook at your fingertips.

There was this guy earlier sitting by the door.  He brought his cute little puppy.  I'm pretty sure it was to find a way to talk to ladies passing through.

We'll be in the Portland area for the next two weeks or so.  We're staying with Christina's best friend's mom again, and it's nice to feel like we have our own space that is not in each other's.

Powell's is calling, and I have a few books in mind to pick up whilst there.  There's an Anytime Fitness nearby as well, so despite my handicaps, I will have to venture in a few times for sure.  I am trying to run every other day, or every two days, since my right leg's quad is feeling funny.  When I get into the run, it feels fine after a few steps.  When I walk, I look like an old lady.  IBprofen is my friend.

Oregon is very beautiful, especially now with the sun out.  I know it's only February, but with the east coast getting the Pacific Northwest weather we should be having, I can't help but hope spring is coming sooner than we all think.  It feels like San Jose weather, and when sense of smell can trigger some powerful memories, for me it's like that with weather.  If it feels like home, I feel like I should be there.

I get to see my mom in a few weeks.  She's coming to Washington state to visit her mom, my grandmother, and also the family that is up here.  My grandmother's brother-in-law just passed away last week and the funeral is soon.  I won't be there for it, but in a few weeks my mom will still be here.  So I'll get a full week of Filipino food.  Ah, I miss it.

Until next time, good night, dear void.

Comments

1

I love coffee shops. :) I hope you got some good writing and reading in! And I think that's hilarious about the guy with the puppy... Back here in SoCal it has been 80 degrees these past two days! Love ya!

  Maria Feb 18, 2010 3:06 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.