Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Anytime Fitness and Anytime Couches

USA | Saturday, 13 February 2010 | Views [660]

Meridian, ID.

Incredible assets for being on the road are 24 hour gyms and an abundance of free places to stay.

Last semester it was all about couch-surfing.  It was my personal and epic mission to travel the country on the couches (or floors, or extra beds, etc.) of strangers.  There was no more than 7 days out of a month that I had to spend in hotels.  People are great, and couchsurfing.com has my complete and enthusiastic support.

However, I didn't do the whole working out last semester so much.  Not to bore you with some lame story about how I forgot to bring my running shoes and was too cheap to purchase more, I did not work out to deserve my holiday meals. Fortunately, this semester, I have the awesome privilege of having Christina for a co-worker and she makes me work.  Earlier this week, she had me doing these ab exercises that got me grunting and yelling, which is a bit embarrassing when I think about how many people were in the gym with us.  But I'll never have to see any of them again.  My jello-pack I'll have to live with otherwise.

So joining Anytime Fitness has been fabulous.  I can only hope they'll open one in San Jose, because the closest to my hometown is 40 minutes away, hardly worth the gas.

However, I think couch-surfing for me will have to take a hiatus.  Christina isn't so much comfortable with it up here in the Pacific Northwest, which I cannot blame her for (see last entry).  Couch-surfing isn't for everyone.  My only regret is that CS actually shows you the beauty of people's hearts, and I'm sad someone can taint her feelings with so harsh an experience.  Again, who can blame her?

In any case, with two weddings to attend, and the rest of my life to live, I can sacrifice not couch-surfing the next four months with intense fitness training with someone who knows what she is doing.  Besides, it's probably better: who wants guests-you-haven't-met-before show up after a workout all funky?  Ha.

Until next time, good night, dear void.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.