Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Scary Mountain

USA | Saturday, 30 January 2010 | Views [346]

I drove through my scariest drive ever.  Well, actually, it's probably a toss-up with the time I drove over HWY 17 from San Jose to Santa Cruz during lots and lost of rain, in the dark.  

We drove from Portland, OR to get to Meridian, ID on I-84.  It's about a 7-8 hour drive, depending on the weather.  Initially it was a very beautiful drive.  We were in awe by the rivers and lakes and tree-sprinkled mountain sides Oregon had to offer.  We'd be miles from any kind of civilization, but saw little houses along our drive, and if ever there was a reason to be living miles away from any conveniences, the nature we were surrounded by was enough.

By my turn driving, it turned dark, and we had to go over some mountain.  Out of no where we hit a snow storm, and though we were only going 45 mph (I was not messing with fate), the snow we saw with our lights looked like we were in hyper-drive through space. 

The lines were covered in all kinds of wet and snow, so we couldn't see lanes properly.  I chose to piggy-back behind a truck to lead the way.  All the while we were praying under our breath, and Christina was texting friends to pray for us.  All in all, we remained relatively calm, but wow, I'm glad that's over.

Now, losing an hour with the change of time zones, we are snug in the guest room at an old family friend's place.  It's good to see friends on the road--it's a little bit of home.


Until next time, good night, dear void.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.