Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

The World as Coffeehouse and Open Mic

USA | Monday, 1 February 2010 | Views [498]

Meridian, ID

One of the joys of being on the road is visiting various restaurants and coffee houses.  My favorite places are restaurants that serve brunch, and coffee houses that have free internet.  And what's more rare, is for me to actually be in town on the correct day an open mic is happening.  Tonight, this moment as I write this, is one of those rare moments.  In fact, it is the first time I would have visited an open mic while on the road.  

We are in Meridian, ID, which has nothing very exciting save for the people I am here visiting (dear, dear friends for a very long time), has a gym that we went to yesterday (yes, still sore), and this coffee house called The Library Coffeehouse.  It has wonderful ambiance and such a homey feel to it; it is like the one I want to open one day.  There are couches all around, and a small stage in the back in the room with lots of books. 

The locals get up here and play their guitar and sing their hearts.  It's a beautiful cascading of community-love-life-friends-strangers-peace, all united in a moment of humanity coming together under the simple act of song.  The world should be a coffee house with some open mic--everyone in turn using their God-given talents to bring creativity into the world all whilst enjoying, as Tom Hanks once said, "legal addictive stimulants."

Until next time, good night, dear void.

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation." - Rent

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.