Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Away for Thanksgiving...Again

USA | Saturday, 28 November 2009 | Views [562] | Comments [1]

I have to stop doing that.  Leaving home during important holidays.  Well, at least this year I had a turkey, as opposed to NOT having a turkey in Turkey on Turkey Day last year.

I dropped my co-worker off at the Pittsburgh Int'l Airport on Wednesday afternoon after our afternoon shows.  Then it was me, Jack (the van), and Thanksgiving traffic for 4 hours to Dillsburg.  Getting out of Pittsburgh was slow, and I thought I might not reach Dillsburg until midnight.  But, mercifully, the traffic congestion ended right outside of the city, and it was pretty smooth sailing from there.  I had beefed up my iPod for the occasion with some new worship music, some good sermons, and a blast from the past when I switched up to some 90s rock.

So, a coffee, a sugar free red bull, and a chai soy latte later, I made it to Dillsburg in about 4 hours.  The Taylors were over at Kris' mom's house when I got there, preparing for the delicious meal we would be enjoying the next day, but they left the back door open for me.  That's the kind of place Central PA is.  I guess that's how all farm towns are.  It's pretty nice. 

Their home is a home away from home, so arriving was a relief knowing I would not have to drive Jack again for another 8 days until I had to pick up my co-worker again the next Wednesday.  I parked Jack in his spot (he has his own spot, we've been there so much), and he's been happily hibernating. 

I love the way their home smells.  It just conjures up a sense of comfort and familiarity that is a commodity on the road.  I made myself at home in "my" room, threw some laundry in, showered, and vegged out til they got back.  I felt like their (adopted) kid coming home from the holidays.

The one thing about coming here if nothing else means eating, and eating well.  Bob is the grand chef in this house, and my co-worker (also named Kris) and I love his cooking.  So of course, when they got home around 8:30PM, the feeding began.  I was hoping to fast that night to prepare myself for the next day's festivities, but it was futile to refuse anything from Bob.  He force fed me brie and crackers and homemade vegetable beef soup. 

The next day at the Peffer matriarch's home (Kris' mom's), most of the family showed up in her little farm house.  The house was bustling and we began the mass feeding it noon.  Apparently, in these parts, they do Thanksgiving dinner for lunch, and keep going throughout the afternoon.  Well, maybe that's how it's suppose to be generally, but my family always has Thanksgiving dinner for dinner.  So while we started, half of California was probably still asleep.

Befuddled by the turkey, I fought to stay away at only 2PM.  I was awaken by the only two little kids that could walk and talk to play hide-and-seek.  I also got a ride from one of the kid's four-wheelers...I got yelled at because I wasn't holding on tight enough.  Was funny coming from a 5 year old.

The last two days I've come with Kris to work.  She works with Bob at a butcher shop, and it was interesting to see how they operate.  I got to ride in the delivery truck and keep Kris' nephew company as he did his 3 hour run.  Today I surfed the web to find out where the nearest movie theater (first I tried to look up malls, but that would only be a danger for my funds) as well as the nearest Starbucks to the theater.  I think I'll watch A Christmas Carol.  Or New Moon (I'm ashamed to admit).  I wanted to see This is It or Law Abiding Citizen, but this theater isn't showing them apparently.


Wow, is there really only a month left of 2009?

Til next time, good night, dear void.

Comments

1

I miss you Lar. I hope you are doing well over there. I can't wait to see you early in the new year. Like I told you before -- we are moving -- but you are welcome to stay with us. You'll have to excuse the guest room if it is full of boxes -- but there is a bed and it will have clean sheets! =) love you!!!

  Gina Dec 4, 2009 6:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.