Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Farm Town

USA | Saturday, 21 November 2009 | Views [596]

There's actually a game on Facebook called Farm Town.  It's like the Sims from what I gather.  A friend of mine plays it.  That has nothing to do with me really, except we are staying at a farm this weekend.  These people are named Yoders, like most of this area--Amish/Mennonite land.  They live on this farm and are providers for Land O Lakes butter.  It definitely smells like cows outside, and one startled me last night when I was taking my luggage out of the van.  It just stood there by itself, looking at me under the starry night.  It was a bit eerie to be honest.

We are visiting the Mennonite church tomorrow, which will be interesting.  Mennonites are an offshoot of the Amish, but they embrace all the modern things in life.

The thing about this house is that it feel like Narnia upstairs.  The entire bottom floor is very warm (80 degrees warm) because the stove keeps burning.  But you go upstairs and it might as well be outside.  That is where the extra bedroom with the extra beds happen to be.  Last night I slept with four blankets, and my sleeping bag, and my sweater, and a beanie.  I was actually too warm at times, but I like that alternative to the cold. 

Tonight we spent helping Wanda Yoder cater to one of the Sunday School adult groups to their Christmas party.  Why they were having Christmas before Thanksgiving, I do not know.  But we helped serve and clean up, etc.  It was good times.  Somehow Kris and I get put into those situations where we can bless people with our services.  Like the first time in Dillsburg, PA where we helped the Taylors' neighbors move.  And the second time we were there we helped with Octoberfest (up at 4:30am).  When we were in Winchester, VA with the Snelgroves, we did a community trash-clean up with their church in the morning, then helped one of their friends rake up their workplace in the afternoon.  It's nice to be able to give back when people are so nice to put you up for a night or two or three =)

That's it for now.  Good night, dear void.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.