Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Floods and fanciful foods

USA | Tuesday, 17 November 2009 | Views [549]

I'm not really sure what the title means.

Well, there was this one night in Va Beach that we all made some home-made nacho dip that looked crazy good and tasted delicious and the next day seemed to be the best worse idea ever... ;)

Anyway, Kris and I spent the weekend in Virginia Beach.  I have two friends, brother and sister, living on campus at Regent University.  This is the school I almost went to two years ago for my doctorate.  Being around college peoples makes me want to go back.  I had the fortune of being given a private tour of the CTV (Cinema-TV) building, and felt seduced!  I am a nerd at heart, and love school, and not ashamed to proclaim it!

Kris and I were suppose to do a show at a Norfolk school Friday afternoon.  We drove from Harrisonburg, VA Thursday night to get to Va Beach.  It was a 4 hour-ish drive...througha  "tropical" storm.  It was called tropical, but having experienced storms in the D.R. and Thailand, I highly resent this term.  But maybe that's just East Coast.  Crazy.  We drove straight on into it.  There were flood warnings and cars that got stuck on the side of the road.  I half expected to see cows floating by.  Somewhere somehow I kept thinking, maybe it was really okay I did not relocate my life to live there for the time it would've taken me to finish my PhD.

With all the flooding, our Norfolk school was canceled.  This we found out late Thursday night, and I definitely did the happy dance when my co-worker told me the news.  That meant a long weekend, and a lot of sleeping in.  Even with the dreary weather, I did manage to see the campus, and as I mentioned, tour the CTV building.  It was preview weekend for Regent (something I didn't bother with when I applied three years ago), so I felt like I was really blessed to be there at the time I was despite the rain and wet and sludge and floods.  Jack (our van) was there every day and hadn't run away with the craziness that was the weather, so that was good.


After church on Sunday, Kris and I left almost right away (...well, after lunch that is) to drive the 4 1/2 hours to Roanoke, VA (no, it's not the Roanoke Island where the colony mysteriously disappeared 400 years ago) for our Rocky Mt. school.  And of course, our Norfolk school rescheduled for Tuesday morning, the morning we originally had off, so we had to drive the 4 1/2 hours back east.  Except that it was just a lot of driving in only a couple of days, at least I got to see my friends again.


Now we are chillin in Baltimore with the courchsurfing host we stayed with two months ago.  Courchsurfing is just the awesome.  We get to be here for there nights in a row--it's good to have temporary stability, though everything is so fleeting in our job.  Last Saturday was 3 months since we headed out on the road.  I can't believe how quickly this is all going.  Kris will get to go home for Thanksgiving, but seeing as my family is on the other side of the country, I won't.  I'll be spending Thanksgiving with the friends Kris and I met in Dillsburg.  So far that means being stationary for one week...which will be nice.

Til next time, good night, dear void.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.