Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Hotels, Couchsurfing, and Church-hopping

USA | Tuesday, 10 November 2009 | Views [200]

We are in the middle of nowhere.  Even priceline.com didn't have a hotel to suggest for us and it searches like 50 miles out!  I googled the only hotel in town that wasn't a bed and breakfast.  Of course, there are no couchsurfers within 2 hours of where we are, and no churches responded to my email.

We are off a highway, and across the way is the only restaurant.  It's Italian and tonight it was hopping.  Being the only one in town does that at dinner time.  It seemed mom and pop-ish, which I love.  And people kept saying things like "y'all" and "bu-bye" in their southern twang.

Tonight we are in a our second hotel for the month of November.  For this tour we've averaged less than $10 a night.  It's because Couchsurfing.com rocks.  We've also had some good fortune with a few churches.  Actually, we've only stayed with a handful of church people that have responded to emails I've sent out to see if anyone in any given congregation would show us some good ole Christian love.  The few that have responded have been so wonderful and gracious.  They've fed us home-cooked meals and gave us separate bedrooms.  It's interesting that I've had more luck with the couchsurfing community than with churches. 


Thanksgiving is in a few weeks, and contrary to what I was hoping, none of the other East Coast teams will be near us.  Kristen is from Maine, so she will get to fly home. I, however, will be spending time with Kris and Bob in Dillsburg, PA.  They are the lovely couple we have stayed with about four different occasions now.  They are awesome, and I feel so blessed to know them.  I will be missing my Cali people, though.  Well, as is life.


Good night, dear void.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.