Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Istanbul to Constantinople

TURKEY | Friday, 28 November 2008 | Views [495] | Comments [4]

I want to learn Arabic.  It is everywhere, on every mosque.  The Koran is aesthetically beautiful because of it.  Arabic looks like music sounds and how poetry feels.

Back in a big city after two weeks of dead Grecian islands and small tourist towns.  I really like Istanbul.  At sunset, golden hour made the horizon of mosques and the sea so lovely.  It made me hate every bit of those stupid two specks of Kenyan dust that shows up in every frame I take!

Today I found some new friends--two Malaysian Muslims and two Aussies--and together we visited Topkapi Palace.  The place is beautiful.  I saw a sword made and used by David, and a Turban that supposedly belonged to Joseph. 

Tonight I had dinner in a room with three Japanese and four Turks, and an Aussie while three languages floated around.  We had home cooked Japanese foods and I have eaten way way way too much for my own good (as always!).  Now I am going to retire to my lonesome dorm and read myself to sleep as I slip into a wonderful food coma (nearly Thanksgiving-y).

Cheers and God bless.

 

Comments

1

I don't think I told you I'm taking a "Christian Theology History" class and learning all about constantinople and cappadocia, and the theologians from those places. It's neat to hear your adventures there. My teacher is awesome, he's also a Koran scholar and writing a book about the Koran and the Bible. I'm not sure exactly what kind of relationship he is drawing between them, but it sounds interesting! :)
I love you and am thinking of you often!

  Maria Dec 1, 2008 12:53 PM

2

Wow...sounds like you have been busy! And that you are having a wonderful time! I miss you but have been on a Lara high since I was able to chat with you online a while back (lucky me)! I am heading home to San Jose for Christmas and will be there for something like 2 weeks. Maybe I will see you there? =) You and your friend are still in my prayers. Love you!

  Gina Montecastro Dec 3, 2008 12:21 PM

3

Hi!! Was thinking about you over Thanksgiving! You coming home any time soon? I miss you! ;-)

  Trishy Dec 5, 2008 5:15 PM

4

I hope you find a way to get the dust out... and I can't wait to see cityscape pics...

  "Sister" Dec 7, 2008 4:32 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.