Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

A hunt for canned pumpkin...and then there was this camel...

TURKEY | Thursday, 27 November 2008 | Views [849] | Comments [3]

Happy Turkey Day from Turkey!


This is my Thanksgiving Day...


First, we decide that we need to find pumpkin, because though no one here knows or cares about Thanksgiving, we are very homesick.  But we are in Goreme, which is a little tiny town of 2000 people the region of Cappadocia.  There are no huge supermarkets here.  We decide to WALK to the next town.  We get lost, and end up in another town on the other side of the map.  On the way, we come across a camel and a donkey.  We've never seen a camel up close, so we approach......watch out, they spit.  We keep thinking it hates us because it keeps wanting to get us with whatever amo it has in its mouth at the moment.  The owner asks us if we want to ride it.  Um....yes!  He gets a ladder and we mount it, all the while thinking, "Can camels throw their riders like horses????" because clearly, from the way it refused to walk quickly as the owner pulled it along, it hated us!  We rode it for a few moments, all the while laughing, somewhat with nervous laughter.  We had a few touristy pictures taken, and bravo.  We had our camel ride on Turkey Day, on the way to hunting for canned pumpkin (did we think we were going to make pie?...sure...), and getting lost on the way.  All in all, a good story, I think.

So I am off to Istanbul to meet up with my friend, Melissa.  We met in the Dominican Republic two and a half years ago, but she is visiting family here...so yay!  Perfect. 

Cheers.  Miss you all.

Comments

1

yay for Thanksgiving camels! :)

  shell Nov 28, 2008 7:49 AM

2

Yay for walking to towns but ending up in other towns by mistake!

  Ray Nov 28, 2008 8:00 AM

3

God provides all... even camel rides! LOL!!!

They are awkward to ride, aren't they?

You're lucky it was actually a nice guy giving you a ride. My cousin went for a camel ride in Egypt... it was a paid ride - they took his money and took him for a nice LONG ride from where they were and then pretty much tried to get him to pay his own ransom to be taken back to where they started! Being the proud man he is, he wouldn't pay them and had to hoof it all the way back!

  "Sister" Dec 7, 2008 4:27 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.