Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

No plans, no worries.

TURKEY | Tuesday, 25 November 2008 | Views [447] | Comments [3]

So we are still here in Goreme, Cappadocia.  We keep meaning to leave, and we keep deciding to stay one more night.  The 11 hour bus ride to Istanbul will have to wait, and at least we will have dry-ish clothes.  It's kind of nice with no schedules and itineraries.  You know what they say, if you want to make God laugh, make plans!

I want to back up to Greece really quickly, back to Santorini, and make mention again of the kindness of strangers.  We've had amazing blessings in the form of the people we meet the last month and a half.  It was the night we were leaving for Rhodes.  We had to check out of our hotel at noon, but our ferry wasn't until 1:40AM.  This was the same day we snuck onto the roof of a hotel to over look the sunset, read, nap, wait.  Anyway, we were sitting in a square in the town center, looking like the perpetually homeless nomads that we are, when a man, Rod Musum (who is part of the tourist business in the States in Vegas), took pity on us...  Haha, it was actually so funny because it was quite a cold night, and he, out of the kindness of his heart, insisted in buying us a drink and sit with him in the nearby warm restaurant(to get out of that cold!), and afterwards gave both of us 50 Euros each.  So unexpected, so blessed.  We couldn't believe it!  But he said that he was a broke traveler just like us once, and someone was kind enough to do the same thing he was doing for us at that moment.  He made us promise that one day when we had our grown up jobs and grown up money (hehe) we would do the same for someone else.  Pay it forward.  What a beautiful philosophy.  We won't forget.

Comments

1

Wow..that's a cool story!

How cool would it be to hear the story of the penniless people you help one day, the promise you make them give you, then hear the story of the kids they help...hehehe you get the idea. :)

God is good all the time..all the time God is good!

  shell Nov 26, 2008 8:20 AM

2

I'll be honest... your story made me teary.

xoxo

  "Sister" Dec 7, 2008 4:22 AM

3

Hi Girls,

Nice story. Don't ever forget the promise to pay it forward....

Rod

  Rod Musum May 23, 2009 3:30 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.