Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Manga! Manga!

ITALY | Sunday, 26 October 2008 | Views [737] | Comments [6]

Eat! Eat!

People keep throwing free food to us...it is wonderful, of course.  Today we are going to have Sunday lunch at Carla's home, the woman who rescued us in our lost-lookness our first day in town.  It has become the group inside joke, however, to have to yell "Manga! Manga!" to Brittany because she is always the last to finish.  It started with one of the friends we met who was part of a group that took us to eat panuozzo (a yummi in-between pizza/panini/calzoni) and kept piling the food on our plates.  It was a valiant effort on our side, but in Britt's defense, it was troppo cibo! Too muuch food!

I think we are leaving for Greece tomorrow.  I think we are getting train tickets to Bari, the east coast of Italy, then ferry to Corfu and stay at the Pink Palace, some well-known backpacker's hostel.  Then on to the mainland to Athens, I'd like to see Korinthos on Peloponnese, and we are probably definitely going to Santorini and perhaps Crete.  AND if I can get hold of some students of mine that live on Cyprus, hopefully that is another place for us. 

We have been in Italy for a week and a half, and I am just starting to get hold of the basics of the language, which makes me want to stay a little longer.  But we must move on to Greece, as Britt needs to get on a plane from Athens on Nov 6.  Greek will be so much harder to learn!  At least Italian has some French and Spanish roots!

I didn't get to write about the last couple of days, which have been amazing.  On Thursday, we definitely spent the day at our own private beach in front of a castle-turned hotel that was built into the rocky cliffs of the Amalfi.  (Private because it is not tourist season, and there was practically no one else on the beach with us, save a couple that kept to the sides and we didn't even see).  Friday we did Sentiero delgi dei, The Path of the gods, a hike along the Amalfi cliffs overlooking the coast to Positano.  We were hiking with three other guys we met in Agerola (everyone is so small town and it is so easy to meet nice people) who made us lunch in the middle of a green meadow at the foot of a baby waterfall (that was a bit dry at the moment).  They made a fire and bbqed lamb chops for us, using wild (not poisonous!) mushrooms and rosemary herbs they picked along the way to the spot, wine, and bread.  Then we had chestnuts...roasted over an open fire...It was an unexpected lunch that lasted longer than the hike!  Again, lots of food all the time.

Which brings me to my next point...that our diet plans for 2008 are being defintely thwarted at this moment in time as we are eating way more than we expected we would...haha...which is nice God moment for sure.  Not that I am exactly complaining...

I called the parental units yesterday, and it was so nice to hear their voices!!! 

So we usually hang out at this cafe near our campsite Caffeteria di Milo, which has bomb 1 Euro cappaccinos.  We just found out last night that the locals laugh at us, because apparently you are only suppose to have cappaccinos for breakfast, but we order them all the time.  Cafe, or espresso (the baby shot-size), is what people usually order for any other part of the day, usually after dinner.  Just a cultural lesson for any of you that might come to Italy one day!

Ciao for now!

 

Comments

1

i can't believe that you are just chilling in italy. i wish i could be there with you!

i still miss you!

now that you are actually going to greece..think of me when you eat greek food. :)

  shell Oct 27, 2008 9:32 AM

2

i heard greece has a big statue of a windex bottle..

  romeoso Oct 27, 2008 9:28 PM

3

Everything just sounds amazing... even the cappuccinos at the wrong time of day... LOL...

  "Sister" Oct 28, 2008 4:10 AM

4

You and your friends are truly blessed. Enjoy your time there, traveler! I continue to pray for your safe travels across Europe and that you return home safely as well. I hope that you are having fun and make wonderful life long memories...
I miss you! (Don't forget your compass in Greece! =)

Side note -- Happy belated Birthday Rome!

  Gina Montecastro Oct 28, 2008 4:22 PM

5

Found your entries on your wonderful adventures so interesting.
I have also travelled somewhat extensively in this beautiful country too, but have not yet been to the Amalfi Coast.

Travelled via Napoli to the beautiful islands of Ischia and Capri some years back. Absolutely beautiful and with wonderful hot springs close to the beachs around Ischia which you can just easily swim to and indulge in their healing properties for all sorts of ailments. These islands are simply majestic and a perfect base for day trips to Pompei,Vesuvius and Herculaneum. Don't leave without seeing 'old Napoli' with its Castle of Eggs, amazing architecture in the many beautiful churches, but particularly worth a visit is the museum which holds many of the figures so perfectly preserved by the lava which covered the village of Pompei.The list of must sees is just too long to include here, but before leaving Napoli try to drive to the highest point and take in the stunning bay.. a never to be forgotten and breathtaking sight to treasure.

  Renee Nov 5, 2008 8:58 AM

6

Hi larasumera,
Just a quick note to let you know that we're featuring this story on the WorldNomads.com homepage throughout Jan 09 as part of our Feature Destination: ITALY. Great stuff!
Christy, Community Manager, WorldNomads.com

  crustyadventures Jan 3, 2009 1:31 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.