Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

When in Rome...

ITALY | Thursday, 16 October 2008 | Views [762] | Comments [2]

It's going to be harder than I expected to keep this up.  I'll try my best, though!  And I'll also do my best to abbreviate!

Currently I am using free internet at Brittnay's friend's place in Rome.  We are so blessed to be here on our first night with free accommodations.  Actually, Erica got here yesterday; Brittany and I started flying yesterday--her from LAX, me from Nairobi.  It was a good 24 hours about of alone time, but I suspect God knew what He was doing and that was needed to process much of the Nairobi trip.  There was just so much to think about, so much to be broken about, but also so much hope.

After fumbling around the city trying to find our way to Brittany's friend's place, we did a short visit to the Vatican, but we didn't go inside anything--that is for tomorrow.  It actually felt like a cattle herding, so though that is expected, Brit was pretty beat so we headed back.  The two girls crashed back at the apartment from the jetlag for a short napsy.  I continued reading The Shack [Chris Olds--I got hold of it and that first part made me cry too!].  Then we had dinner at a local pub with all the guys of the apartment, and the three of us girls then did a night walk through the ancient city, including the magnificent Coloseo.  We'll go back tomorrow to see it in the day.

I'm not sure how this is all going to go down in my head and in my heart from the transition from Nairobi to Europe.  There was so much poverty, and corruption, and spiritual oppression.  The Proverbs say, "The fallow ground of the poor would yield much food, but it is swept away through injustice" (Prov. 13:23) [Kristin--I think of you every time I open my beautiful new Bible].  Anyway...things are jumbled in my head, and I bet they'll stay that way for a while.

Tags: italy, roma, rome

 

Comments

1

Good to hear from you. I'm heartbroken yet joyous for your experience so far. I guess the greatest hope is that God's eye is on the people of Mathare, and His grace was poured out and will accomplish exactly what He wants it to. Who knows what will come of your work, and what more He will do! I know getting to see how He feels about things like this will draw you closer to His heart; and there is not only love and joy, but a lot of sorrow and grief there (Isaiah 53:3). But he hates injustice, and so do you in a way you may never have before. Keep being his hands and feet, and I'll look forward to seeing another post. P.S., I'll see the prestige tonight!!!

  Chris McCann Oct 17, 2008 8:48 AM

2

I don't know how you process all you saw and the disparity of it all either - yet at the same time I know that God will use everything you see and experience in shaping your world view and life directive. I know that all of this will be used for amazing things.

I absolutely LOVE the verse you quoted, and am honored to be remembered so often... :-)

  "Sister" Oct 28, 2008 3:29 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.