Existing Member?

Chasing the Wind A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~ Lao Tzu

Jambo Kenya!

KENYA | Wednesday, 8 October 2008 | Views [548] | Comments [2]

There is way too much that has happened in the last three days to put in a short entry.  This is the first I can get internet connection.  The place I'm staying at with the team has internet, but it is very very slow and is almost always down.  We came from the Mathare slums and stopped at a mall to use the internet cafe. 

Basically Day 1 was church, and more or less adjusting to the jet lag (it was a 10 hour flight to London, 8 hours to Kenya).  We are 10 hours ahead of California time.  We went and toured one of the schools and saw kids on Monday. 

Day 2, Tuesday, we broke up into teams.  My team did Bring the Light where we (and by we, I mean the skilled workers that went along with us) installed small windows to allow light into the little shanties where there is otherwise only darkness within.  Of course, we also brought the Light of the gospel.  God was amazing, and I was blessed to be part of that.


Day 3, Wednesday, today, my team did home visits to the sick (those who did that yesterday did Bring the Light today).  We visited those with HIV and brought them food baskets.  When I usually had my camera as part of my arm, today was the day I felt the need to keep it back at the guest house.  Some of the stories were incredibly heartbreaking, some of hope.  But either way all of the experience were blessings.

I wish I could say more, but I have to go.  Please keep the team in your prayers and the people of Mathare.  There is nothing that photos can do for how it really is here.

PS...Rome, I will have you know that I found my earplugs in my crump bag.  I miss you, friend!  Erica and Brittany...I'm so excited I'll be seeing you in A WEEK.  Congrats, Rica, on your last week at ISV.  Mom, Dad, and Brother...I wish you were here! 


Mungo akubariki.

 

Comments

1

I love you La, I'm keeping you guys in my prayers. I pray that you will continue to be a blessing to those around you and that you will continue to be blessed as well. Much much love.

  Maria Kong Oct 10, 2008 2:08 AM

2

I'm catching up now on reading and commenting...

I wish I could have gone to Kenya with you guys.. I know you were a blessing to all you encountered... xoxo

  "Sister" Oct 28, 2008 3:23 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.