Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Setting the Record Straight

FRANCE | Friday, 1 September 2017 | Views [323]

I want to make sure that you understand that not everyone living during the Middle Ages was an inhabitant within a stone walled city. In fact they were the lucky ones. Lest we forget, the village of Kerihnet was reconstructed for visitors to actually see what living standards were like for the "common folk". In fact I felt like singing the song from "Camelot", "What Do the Simple Folk Do?"
 
The first thing you will  notice is that every house has a thatched roof. You see slate was too expensive for these village dwellers. They are all in great condition too. Photos describe how they are constructed. There is a wooden frame underneath.  It looks like it would take a really long time to cut and weave the reeds, but then again, what else did they have to do beside tend the sheep and farm the land?
 
Local reeds were used during Medieval Times but due to climate change, the main plant no longer exists in the region. So they have to import reeds from other parts of France. And I suspect that, at this time, a tile roof would be less expensive. But, then the little village wouldn't be so special! 
 

And there are artisans who are creating everything from original pieces of art to reproducing by hand, items that were used by the original inhabitants. In this respect it reminded me a little bit of Williamsburg, VA.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.