Existing Member?

Europe 2017

An Intrepid Trooper

FRANCE | Sunday, 27 August 2017 | Views [379] | Comments [1]

So, there is a lovely flower  (by my standards anyway) here in the Charente Maritime called the Rose Tremiere. In English, it is the Hollyhock.
Now, I hasten to add, I have seen them in other regions, but not in the quantities that one finds them here. They are everywhere and I do mean that literally. They seem to just sprout up in dirt, in sand, through blacktop - you name it and there is one growing there.
 
These plants are also fiercely independent! They grow where they want to grow and there is no stopping them! They can even break through the thickest weed barrier and easily sprout through a tiny crack in cement as well.
 
Their colors range from a pure white, pale yellow, a variety of different pinks to a vibrant  dark violet. I've had fun walking around town documenting their persistent nature and the uncommon places one can find them.
I've never seen a formal garden with them planted in some sort of prearranged grouping. They're too independent.
 

Perhaps that's why I like them. I remember when I planted periwinkle in our front walk at our house. They lasted all of a few short weeks. However, a few months later they started cropping up all around the property - where they wanted to grow. Now, I have them everywhere that they like it.

Comments

1

Only caveat to a season of stellar writing: DO NOT begin sentences or paragraphs with the word "so"-- it is the new disease of broadcasting, esp PBS/NPR--a gusing fountain of so-so-so-so.

Stefano the stickler

  stefano Aug 28, 2017 3:33 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.