Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Paris Has the Eiffel Tower and Fouras Has Its Carrelets

FRANCE | Thursday, 10 August 2017 | Views [353]

I've never thought of fishing as a particularly active sport with the exception, perhaps, of deep sea fishing. However, baiting a hook and casting a line along the shore doesn't provide much exercise It is repetitive and perhaps allows the person fishing to flex a muscle or two when casting one's line. Amazing that the French could find an even easier way to do this!
 
Along much of the coast here you will find attractive tiny little "cottages" on stilts that extend out into the water. They are called "carrelets" and they are synonymous with the coast of this region, the Charente-Maritime. They've been around for a long time but climate changes and 3 relatively recent hurricanes between 1996 and 2010 all but destroyed most of them. It is estimated that the Charente now has less than 400 of them. The ones that were rebuilt have been modernized even more than they were before. The average cost to rebuild was $25,000 but there are a few that have cost $50,000. It's understandable why so many people just walked away.
 
But, there are enough of them remaining that people can enjoy seeing them as they walk along the beach and watch the owners "fish" in a totally different manner.
A huge net is lowered in to the water; I would assume that the $50,000 rebuild has a mechanized system. The others are hand cranked. When the net begins to bend the pole to which it is attached, it is relatively safe to assume that there are crabs, shrimp or fish in the net. Thus, it is hauled up.
 
Just think, you don't even have to bait a hook! Actually, you don't even have to fish. You can just go hang out over the ocean  and enjoy the view, a drink, quiet time...

Now, I know there is no law against it, BUT as I think about it, I have never seen a woman in one or even climbing up the ladder to get to one. Maybe they are like man-caves?

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.