Existing Member?

Europe 2017

How Old Did You Say Your Family Tree Was? Well, I Know One Older!

FRANCE | Tuesday, 25 July 2017 | Views [528]

We went off to the town of Josselin today to visit their acclaimed Chateau. It is in the town with the same name. Can you imagine that?  Actually, the Chateau is quite lovely. It doesn't compare in size to the really famous ones in the Loire valley, but it is quite elegant and is situated just above the river Oust.
 
One of its main claims to fame, is that the Chateau has been in the same family for over 500 years! (But, I kid you not, we have met someone whose Chateau actually dates further back by a few hundred years!) Construction on the chateau and fortified town were begun in 1008. And like many of the chateaux in the region, it faced many wars and changes of ownership throughout its history until the Rohan family inherited it. Remember, that for a long period of time, this area of  France was claimed by England. Because of its strategic location, right on the river, it was a prize location and worth fighting for.
 
No one is sure what the original building looked like, but in the late 1300's the three towers that you see today were built along with a fourth tower that is in front of the chateau (see the photos). And it is this lord who is the first in the family's 500 year history, who began to connect the three towers. His grandson and great-grandson added what you see today. This construction was completed in the early 1500's.
 
Part of what makes Josselin unique, is the example it represents of Medieval and Renaissance architecture combined in the same building. You can see that the side facing the river is Medieval, but all the "gingerbread" on the front of the Chateau are good examples of what you find in Renaissance buildings.
 
Even later, in its history, this poor Chateau also suffered during France's religious wars as well as the revolution. So, it wasn't until the mid 1800's that family members, Rohan. were able to restore the Chateau - once again!
 
During the summer, the family opens four of the chateau's rooms on the first floor to visitors like us. Photos inside, of any kind, are strictly forbidden. We were conducted through an estate dining room, the main drawing room (living room) which displays an ornate clock that still keeps time, the day and date, month and zodiac sign. This was presented to the Duke by Louis XIV,  the library/game room (In this room, there is a portrait of the current Duke's father, painted by YOU WILL NEVER GUESS????  - remember Roche-en-Terre and the American painter who bought it? Well, Klots' son was also an artist and a friend of the duke's. So, he painted his friend's portrait, and antechamber (which contains a bust of one of the family members sculpted by none other than Auguste Rodin.)
 

Of course the furniture is also a melange of medieval, Renaissance and early 1900's. Some of the pieces are extraordinary including a desk , which has a twin, that can be found in Buckingham Palace.

Chateau on River Oust

Chateau on River Oust

 
 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.