Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Vannes en Fete

FRANCE | Saturday, 15 July 2017 | Views [631] | Comments [1]

Vannes has a long and rich history dating back to Roman conquest and in the oldest part of town, part of the wall that the Romans constructed is in remarkably good condition.  After Rome fell, Vannes changed hands many times. Even being controlled by the city-state of Venice for a time. But, more frequently, England and France exchanged control. However, Vannes thrived because of its location on the Atlantic and its natural harbors.
Every year they celebrate a different part of their long and varied  history. This year was dedicated to the "Belle Epoque". During this time, from around 1870-1920, the Industrial Revolution changed the lives of millions and millions of people around the world.
The town and many tourists turned out to watch the tribute to this period of time in Vannes' history. There was an impressive parade, several different bands, enjoyable  street theater throughout the city, talented jugglers and acrobats, antique cars, bikes and baby carriages and hundreds of townspeople dressed in the authentic costumes of the different time periods represented during the Belle Epoque.
 
Of course having guides for the festivities, who live in Vannes, was a real bonus!We got meet several of their friends (including a few who were marching) and of course they were able to explain all that was happening and the best places to view different events. And their translations helped with understanding the humor of the Street Theater when necessary.
 
And, I must note also, that the security was very impressive. Indeed, all the streets to the center of town were blocked by large trucks. Huge stones, capable of stopping anything, had been placed on walking paths. Also, without notice, as a group would parade by and just off to the sides of the revelers, were EXTREMELY well armed military! These soldiers looked like they were ready for combat at a moments notice! It's sad and unsettling that this has become necessary, but reassuring as well. And, the presence of regular police (all wearing flack jackets) and armed soldiers was obvious throughout the town and at all points entering  the town.

They even tried to assure the crowds by saying "bonjour" from time to time without cracking a smile.

 

Comments

1

Looked at all your pictures - Love all the costumes in the parade !
Also noticed you are getting close to Quimper -- Steve's Mother has a huge collection of the yellow Quimper dishes w/hand painted costumed people - I'm sure you will see the dishes if your travels include Quimper, France !!

  Susan & Abe Jul 16, 2017 8:47 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.