Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Rainy Stockholm

SWEDEN | Monday, 29 August 2016 | Views [312]

Even though the weather did not cooperate, it was still a pleasure revisiting Stockholm. To me, the #1 attraction is still the Vassa Museum which houses the Viking ship which sank on its maiden voyage because her cannons were too heavy. And the special mix of naturally occurring chemicals in the harbor just off the coast, kept over 90% of the original ship from deteriorating. It was great fun to watch the reaction of people seeing it for the first time!

This time we scheduled our visit to the “old town” so we could see The Changing of the Guard at the palace. It was not as large as it used to be at Buckingham Palace but it now surpasses it. Even in the rain, the soldiers marched around the entire palace with a band playing very patriotic music so many tourists were able to catch the spectacle.

The impression one gets, is that Stockholm is a very clean, civilized place with good shopping and all the modern conveniences. We also did a “Hop On, Hop Off” bus tour through the city and all of it, even the “up and coming areas” were attractive. We had a great view of the “Abba Museum” which is a “must” for the die-hard Abba fans. Through electronics, they even get a video singing with the group. We could see spending more time in Stockholm next summer!

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.