Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Aarhus, Denmark, The Cultural Capital of Europe 2017 (according to them)

NETHERLANDS | Tuesday, 23 August 2016 | Views [267] | Comments [2]

Aarhus is a college city with lots of new buildings going up which are mostly museums and theaters. It also has the tallest and longest church in Denmark and a brand new waterside library. There is also a cool looking museum that has a unique exterior built from glass to mirror a rainbow.

The streets in the “old town” are made of cobblestones. Boy are they tough on the feet! But, I also found it fascinating to watch a workman replacing a section of road by hand.

This was the first time that Celebrity stopped here and the city is really trying to make guests feel welcome. There were volunteers all through the town wearing large “Ask Me” buttons. And as we left the ship, people were giving out city maps and brochures featuring sights. Interestingly enough, we couldn't find a quaint street pictured in the booklet. So, we asked someone in a shop. She had to call over 4 other people before we found someone who knew how to get there!

Again, we found warm and friendly people to greet us. Even though the brochure and map within, need some work, they will figure it out.

Comments

1

I was thrilled to see that you were in Aarhus where my husband's family emigrated from. I never see anything written about it. The Gammel By, the Old Town is so charming and the Danes are very friendly, so glad you're there. By the way, they celebrate our 4th of July every year at Rebild in Copenhagen.

  Catherine Borchmann Aug 24, 2016 6:16 AM

2

I was thrilled to see that you were in Aarhus where my husband's family emigrated from. I never see anything written about it. The Gammel By, the Old Town is so charming and the Danes are very friendly, so glad you're there. By the way, they celebrate our 4th of July every year at Rebild in Copenhagen.

  Catherine Borchmann Aug 24, 2016 6:16 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.