Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Oslo's and its Iceberg

NETHERLANDS | Monday, 22 August 2016 | Views [290]

Oslo has a new Opera and Ballet Theater. It is right in the Harbor and it is truly lovely. You can walk on its roof and admire a majestic sight of new Oslo going up before your eyes. The theater is supposed to capture the spirit of an iceberg. And it is beautiful inside as well. A young woman remarked to me when I was telling her how much we enjoyed it, “It is about time Oslo has something for people to see!”

The city is a combination of old and new with little demarcation between the two. However, the older buildings are obviously smaller and they are painted whereas the new ones are mostly glass and steel. And huge cranes are everywhere as the new skyline is being created almost before your eyes!

The people seem very friendly and the bikers are sane and quite polite. Walking the streets was a pleasure and several of the museums are free.

One of our favorite sights, is a sculpture that actually FLOATS in front of the Opera House and changes shape depending on degrees of light hitting it and the angle from which you view it.

We enjoyed walking the super clean city; a real change from Amsterdam!

Many photos in gallery

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.