Existing Member?

Europe 2017

How Much Alcohol Did You Say This Contained??

USA | Tuesday, 21 June 2016 | Views [327] | Comments [1]

If you are in Normandy you have to have a taste of Calvados! So, we decided to visit a famous Calvados factory. We were the first ones there and we were told if no French people arrived that the tour would be in English. Of course, two minutes before the tour was due to begin, a French couple arrived. They had prepared pamphlets in English and the film had subtitles for us. The guide was also very sweet and kept checking to make sure that we understood everything.

The tour was quite extensive and very interesting. I had no idea that this region is so suited to growing the apples needed to make Calvados. The entire Normandy region grows one of the four different types of apples needed. And the hilly country makes for better apples used in the process. The cider apples are smaller than those grown for eating. The process itself is similar to making cognac. And indeed there is a Calvados type of brandy. What I found most interesting is that nothing is wasted. The “leftover ” apple skin and pieces not pressed into juice are now used by cosmetic companies in face creams because they are rich in antioxidants. So, don't throw the core out next time you eat an apple. Smusch it and dab it on your face!

Answer: Some Calvados contains 70% alcohol. Ed tried 40% and it was very strong. Chicken that I am, I tried the cider with 4% and it wasn't bad.

Photos of the process in the photo  gallery

 

Comments

1

ah, les memoires de calvados, mon boisson favori d'antan! tres d'antan.
stefano

  stefano Jun 22, 2016 1:55 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.