Existing Member?

Europe 2017

Arrival Zaventem (Brussels Airport)

USA | Monday, 13 June 2016 | Views [365] | Comments [1]

We arrived safely in Brussels and so our summer journey of 2016 officially begins. The presence of all the well-armed soldiers was no surprise. The part of the airport still being repaired is completely walled off. For us, the security changes were a bit of a bother. Usually, we are met by the car company and taken to their office across from the airport to take possession of our car. In Brussels now, nothing gets near the airport. So, we had to move all our things to the car office, located on the fourth floor, by hand. Getting out of the 11 story building was a challenge since exits and entrances have been redone to prevent vehicles from being anywhere near the airport entrances or exits.

Finally, we were able to leave. As we headed to our destination we drove through WWI country and the battleground of the Somme. We passed several cemeteries for British soldiers as well as many memorials. It is easy to envision the fighting since much of this area hasn't changed much in close to 100 years.

Zaventem

Zaventem

Comments

1

Amazing how much of the world begins to resemble Israel. The kind of security precautions you describe have been routine in Israel so by now it's " normal" and no one think anything of it.
Or trip with Da I'd and Noah was a success - they just left for KC while Leon and I are going to Haifa for two days to spend with my cousin.

  Irene Skolnick Jun 14, 2016 5:28 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.