Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Travel day to paraty via Sao Paulo

BRAZIL | Friday, 27 March 2009 | Views [852]

26 March: Travel day to Paraty via Sao Paulo

27th March   Arrived in early hours at Sao Paulo bus terminal and caught a transfer to Paraty. The journey seemed to take ages but provided stunning scenery as the bus meandered it's way along the Atlantic coastline.

Arrived in Paraty only to discover that our bags had been tampered with. Fortunately my system of dirty underwear at the top of my bag seemed to deter the would be thieves.   Clare got away with only a torch being taken. A nice little welcome to Brazil.

The bus terminal is not the kind of place you want to hang around in the dark, and  unfortunately the taxis know it. It was an expensive ride and there was no negotiation.  Pay the 20 reals or walk! We'd heard that there has even been threats from the taxi drivers towards the hostel owners picking up their guests. As they see it as lost business.

Once at the hostel in the Praia do Jabaquara area of Paraty we were welcomed by the crazy English owner. Spent the rest of evening at a beach bar overlooking the sea.

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.