Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

Parque Provincial Ischigualasto (Valle De La Luna)

ARGENTINA | Monday, 16 March 2009 | Views [1883]

We had previously arranged a tour to the Parque Provincial Ischigualasto, which is a desert valley a few hours north of San Juan.  Once at the park, the scenery was incredible, from wind eroded rock formations to strange ancient river beds. This area is famous for it's wealth of dinosaur bones and fossils, some up to 180 million years old. The colours in the landscape were amazing, the exposure of the various minerals in the rocks had turned them red, green, and yellow  Having a slight interest in Geology I found it fascinating. Needless to say, being a desert the temperature was incredibly hot.

On the way back we stopped in a town where historically a women had died in the desert yet her new born child survived by continuing to breast feed on her. The locals here considered this a miracle and as a result, she's buried here and people from all over leave gifts where they have recieved good luck. It was a bit weird and comical at the same time as we looked at the various items, for example, models of peoples houses, crash helmets, crutches, wedding dresses. There was no end to what people would leave.     

 

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.