Existing Member?

My Travels This is a day by day journal, so in the future I can look back and reflect on my experiences and those I have shared them with.

My quest was complete!

CHILE | Wednesday, 4 March 2009 | Views [673]

Up at 5.30 in order to get to the Mirador (viewpoint) for the sunrise. It was certainly a shock to the system getting up so early in the freezing cold, and it was another thing climbing up over the rocks in the pitch black. But the view was most definetly worth it. As the sun emerged from the horizon it illuminated the mountains turning them red and pink. It was a very beautiful yet serene moment as I sat on top a mountain with many others who had made the pilgrimage. Put a brew on using my camping stove and watched the run rise further in the company of couple of other backpackers. So that was it, my quest was complete. It was all downhill from here. Donned my pack once more and made a leisurely decent following the path of the Rio Ascencio, stopping occassionally to chat to some of the people I'd met over the last few weeks who'd made it down to the South. And Canadian Josh . . . It could well have been New Zealand!

From the last Refugio at the bottom of the trail I thought I'd walk the last 7.5 km back to the bus pick up. . . .I walked about 500m and thought 'sod this' I'll hitch. A couple of locals picked my up, who were most generous offering me wine, cigarettes, joints and coca (not the fizzy variety). As charitable as it was, I just settled for some wine.

Luckily I managed to get a lift back direct to Calafate, on a bus which I hadn't previously booked.  

About justin


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.